Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hair transplant – Certain innovations and how I do it with the DRAG knife

·

Hair transplant – Certain innovations and how I do it with the DRAG knife

Hair transplant is the only surgical solution to baldness, and actually the only natural solution to it. As a plastic surgeon, I believe that all medical managements can at best be supporting surgery, but cannot replace it at all. Further non surgical methods like weaving and bonding, are very poor solutions to baldness, and people sporting these for long periods are rare to find. After having performed so many hair transplants over the past year or so, i have developed a certain technique, with which I believe I get superior results. However it is an individual decision and every surgeon has his own tricks, so here is mine

I do the microfollicular technique as described by Dr Carlos Uebel (Porto Alegre, Brazil). I take out the strip of hair bearing skin from the back of the head under tumescent local anesthesia. I perform a single layer closure of the scalp. Having taken out the strip, I then dissect out each single hair follicle, reserving the single hair follicular unit for the frontal hair line and the mini grafts for the rest of the head. 

for details - transplanthair@hotmail.com

For making the anterior hair line, I use a modified knife, which I call the DRAG knife (from the acronym DR Amit Gupta, my name). This knife has a special blade fitted to it, which only projects about 3 mm from the surface. It is a rectangular blade. The advantage of this blade, is that unlike the conventionally used No. 11 blade, this cannot pierce more than 3 mm, and thus the chances of bleeding are much reduced. Secondly the cutting edge is not as sharp, thus the chance of cutting the adjacent hair follicle is much reduced. Being so small, I am able to get a better hair density, particularly for the anterior hair line. I preslit about 1500 slits, to achieve greater density, and subsequently use to slit and plug technique more posteriorly. Thus I am able to make a combination of better speed and higher density, without any bleeding at all. I have now started doing megasessions of over 2000 hair follicular units, with much better results

0 comments:

Get Chitika Premium

Health Care

PLease Find add

Blog Archive

Followers

Mybloglog Visitor